top of page

Preparing Your Documents for a New Zealand Long-Term Study Visa

Updated: Sep 18

Preparing Your Documents for a New Zealand Long-Term Study Visa

If you're planning to study in New Zealand for a period of more than three months, you'll need to apply for a long-term study visa. Before you apply for your visa, it's important to gather all the necessary documents to ensure a smooth application process. Here are the documents you'll need to prepare for your New Zealand long-term study visa:

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

Before you can apply for a New Zealand long-term study visa, you must first receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a New Zealand educational institution. This document confirms that you've been accepted to study at the institution and includes details about your course of study, start and end dates, and tuition fees. You'll need to provide your CoE when you apply for your visa, so make sure you keep it safe.

Valid Passport

Your passport must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in New Zealand. If your passport is due to expire soon, it's recommended that you renew it before you apply for your visa.

Financial Documents

You'll need to provide evidence that you can support yourself financially during your studies in New Zealand. This can be in the form of bank statements, proof of scholarships or grants, or a letter from a sponsor. The New Zealand government requires that you have at least NZD 15,000 per year to cover your living expenses.

Medical Certificate

You'll need to provide a medical certificate to show that you're in good health and don't have any medical conditions that could pose a risk to public health in New Zealand. The medical certificate must be less than three months old and must be provided by an approved medical practitioner.

Police Certificate

You'll also need to provide a police certificate from your home country to show that you don't have a criminal record. The police certificate must be less than six months old and must be provided by a recognized police authority.

English Language Proficiency

You'll need to prove your English language proficiency by taking an approved English language test, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or Pearson Test of English (PTE). The required score varies depending on your course of study and the institution you're attending.

Immigration Health Surcharge

As part of your visa application, you'll need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to cover the cost of healthcare during your stay in New Zealand. The IHS is calculated based on the length of your stay and must be paid in advance.

In conclusion, gathering all the necessary documents can take some time, so it's important to start the process early. Once you have all the required documents, you can apply for your New Zealand long-term study visa online through the Immigration New Zealand website. Good luck with your application!

bottom of page